ERNA (ESTHER) SANDEL-PODHORITSER (b. 1903)
The wife of Yoysef (Józef) Sandel, she was born in Dembitse (Dębica), Galicia. She attended a Jewish high school in Lemberg, later studying biology and Germanics at Lemberg University. On the eve of WWII, she was a teacher of biology in a high school in Lemberg. She spent the years 1942-1945 in Soviet Kazakhstan, and 1946-1948 she worked as secretary in the education department of the Central Jewish Committee in Poland. She served as secretary, 1949-1950, of the “Jewish society for the spread of art.” She was a scholarly associate, 1950-1953, of the Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw. She published articles on biology and art in: Dos naye lebn (The new life) and Oyfgang (Arise) in Lodz; Folks-shtime (Voice of the people) and Yidishe shriftn (Yiddish writings) in Warsaw. In issue 7-8 of Yidish shriftn (1963), she published a piece entitled “Amolike poylishe matbeyes mit hebreyishe oyfshriftn” (Old Polish coins with Hebrew inscriptions). She also contributed to the Warsaw-based Byuletin (Bulletin) 30 (1959) a work on the fate of Jewish children under the German occupation. She was an associate of the biology institute in Warsaw. She also published in various Polish periodicals and journals. She was last living in Warsaw.
Post a Comment