PINCHAS PELI (May 16, 1930-April 3, 1989)
The literary name of Pinchas Hacohen, he was born in Jerusalem and studied at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Yeshiva University in New York. He debuted in print at the age of fifteen in Davar (Word), and from that point he published poetry and essays in numerous journals and newspapers. In Hebrew he brought out two volumes of poems, entitled Metarim ḥamisha, shirim (Five strings, poetry) (Jerusalem: R. Mas, 1950), 79 pp., and Mishire haben hashav liyerushalayim (From the songs of the repentant son to Jerusalem) (Jerusalem, 1954), 30 pp., as well as a collection of stories entitled Al tila (On a wire) (Jerusalem, 1957), 240 pp. He edited two anthologies: Emunim (Loyalties) (Jerusalem, 1954), 341 pp., and Ḥamishim sipurim (Five stories) (Jerusalem: Mosad Harav Kook, 1956), 455 pp. In the 1960s he was editing the weekly Panim el panim (Face to face). He visited the United States, Canada, and Mexico on several occasions, and during one such visit published in Yiddish in Idisher kemfer (Jewish fighter) and Morgn-zhurnal (Morning journal) in New York, and in Keneder odler (Canadian eagle) in Montreal. He also translated a number of Yiddish stories into Hebrew. [In English he edited: On Repentance: The Thought and Oral Discourses of Rabbi Joseph Dov Soloveitchik (New York: Paulist Press, 1980), 320 pp.] He died in Jerusalem.
Sources: D. Tidhar, in Entsiklopedyah leḥalutse hayishuv uvonav (Encyclopedia of the pioneers and builders of the yishuv), vol. 12 (Tel Aviv, 1962), p. 4076; Yitskhok Goldshlag, in Folk un tsien (Jerusalem) (People and Zion) (August 17, 1957).
Elye (Elias) Shulman
Post a Comment