ELI BORUKHIN (1901-1942)
Born in Lodz to well-to-do parents. He studied in a Jewish high school, and later humanities at Warsaw University, but he did not graduate, instead turning to devote himself to journalism. He began publishing poetry in Der yidisher zhurnalist (The Jewish journalist), which was brought out by the union of writers and journalists (Lodz, 1919), and in In der shtil (Quietly), a collection of poetry by a group of young poets from Lodz (1919). He contributed to Lodzher folksblat (Lodz people’s news) and Nayer folksblat (New people’s news) in Lodz; Haynt (Today), Ekspres (Express), and Literarishe bleter (Literary leaves) in Warsaw; Yidishe bilder (Jewish images) in Riga; and publications of the Lodz writers group with articles on Jewish painting, theater, and art. He also wrote for the Polish-language Jewish press in Warsaw and Lodz. In 1922, together with A. Alpern, P. Goldhar, Misha Helman, and M. Nelkin, he published three issues of the magazine Toyz-royt (Red ace) (Lodz, April 1922 and January 1923). Among his books: Shtot-gebrazg (Clattering city), poems (Lodz, 1923), 64 pp. He wrote under the influence of the Russian modernists. In 1925 he served as editor of the first Yiddish afternoon newspaper in Lodz, Ekstrablat (Extra-news). From 1929 until just before the war, in 1939, he edited a weekly for business and industry in Lodz, entitled Der poylisher mantshester (The Polish Manchester). At the outbreak of war, he was in Lodz; he died in the Warsaw Ghetto.
Source: Kh. L. Fuks, Ksovim fun khayim krul (The writings of Khayim Krul) (New York, 1954), p. 177.
[Additional information from: Berl Kagan, comp., Leksikon fun yidish-shraybers (Biographical dictionary of Yiddish writers) (New York, 1986), col. 58.]
Post a Comment