TSVI GOLOMBOK (1880-October 12, 1954)
He was born in Birzh (Birzai), Lithuania, and was active there in the Zionist movement and secretary of the local Zionist group. He moved to England, and in 1903 settled in Glasgow, Scotland. He founded a Hebrew school there and the first group of “Lovers of the Hebrew language” (Ḥoveve sefat ever) in Scotland. With his brother, he opened a publishing house in Glasgow. In 1914 he began to publish and edit a Yiddish-language evening newspaper. In 1918 he founded, published, and edited the weekly Yidishe shtime (Jewish voice). From 1928 he was the founder, publisher, and editor of the Glasgow Yiddish-English weekly newspaper, Jewish Echo (with the Hebrew subheading “Hahad hayehudi” [Jewish echo]). He died in Glasgow.
Source: “In der yidisher un hebreisher literatur” (In Yiddish and Hebrew literature), Tsukunft (New York) (December 1954); The Jewish Chronicle (London) (October 15, 1954).