AVROM MEYEROVITSH (March 4, 1896-February 5, 1959)
He was born in Pinsk, Polesia. He studied in a “cheder metukan” (improved religious elementary school), a Russian municipal public school, and in 1913 in the Jewish teachers’ institute in Vilna. After the outbreak of WWI, he interrupted his studies, returned to Pinsk, managed the School for Girls, and worked with the educational institutions of the Zionist Youth movement. In 1919 he was saved from the “Pinsk wall” (by the Pinsk monastery) where thirty-six Jews were, without a trial, shot by the Polish military authorities. In 1920 he began to publish articles in Bafrayung (Liberation), organ of Zionist Youth in Warsaw, edited by Y. Mereminski. He was a member of the first central committee of Tarbut in Poland. In 1922 he moved to the United States and contributed work to: Der idisher kemfer (The Jewish fighter), Di farband-shtime (The voice of the alliance), and Idishe dertsiung (Jewish education). He edited in New York (1932-1933) the work Yung un fray (Young and free) for the youth groups of the Labor Zionists. Over the years 1946-1954, he was a leader in the National Jewish Labor Alliance in New York and Chicago. He was director and a teacher in the Jewish public schools and in the unified middle school in Detroit. He was also administrator of the A. Liessin School in the Bronx and assumed the position of director of the Jewish day school Kineret in Brooklyn. He died in New York.
Source: M. Y. Biderman and A. Meyervitsh, in Pyonern-froy (New York) (May-June 1959).