SHOLEM-YIRMYAHU COHEN (KATZ) (b. ca. 1890)
He was born in Jerusalem. His father, Elye Cohen, was a cofounder of the neighborhood known as Achva, of the Bikur Ḥolim Hospital, and of the Etz Hayim Talmud Torah where he also worked as a school teacher. In his youth the son earned a formidable reputation as a Hebrew grammarian. He was later a contributor to the Hebrew and Yiddish press in Jerusalem—Ḥavatselet (Daffodil), Hashkafa (Outlook), and the like. He served as editor of Shulamis (Shulamith), “a Jerusalem Jewish weekly newspaper, unaligned with any group,” issues 1 through 11 (1911) in Jerusalem (published by Kh. Goldberg). Aside from his articles in the newspaper, Cohen also published a Yiddish translation of Avraham-Shalom Fridberg’s “Emek haarazim” (Cedar Valley), entitled “Der tseder-tol.” He also wrote using the pen name “Eḥad Hayerushalmim.”
Sources: Y. Tikotshinski, in Luaḥ erets yisrael (Calendar of the land of Israel) (Jerusalem, 1909), pp. 121-27; E. R. Malachi, in Luaḥ erets yisrael (Jerusalem, 1910); Malachi, in Tsukunft (New York) (June 1928); Malachi, in Almanakh yidish (The almanac of Yiddish) (New York, 1961), pp. 307-16; M. Unger, in Zamlbukh lekoved dem tsveyhundert un fuftsikstn yoyvl fun der yidisher prese, 1686-1936 (Anthology in honor of the 250th jubilee of the Yiddish press, 1686-1936), ed. Dr. Y. Shatski (New York, 1937), p. 170.
Khayim Leyb Fuks