ELYE TSHARNI (b. 1885)
He came from Slutsk, Byelorussia. He graduated from a Russian high school and then a school of dentistry. He was a leader of the Socialist Territorialists and an active Yiddishist. In 1915 he founded a Jewish school for refugees, the first secular Jewish school in Slutsk. He published correspondence pieces on Jewish and general life in Der fraynd (The friend) in Warsaw and in the Socialist Territorialist party press in Russia. He was editor and publisher of the humorous monthly magazine Der slutsker sheygets (The smart aleck of Slutsk) (1910-1912). After the Bolshevik uprising, he withdrew from active community work. In 1936 he was still in Slutsk.
Source: Information from Elye Shulman in New York.
Khayim Leyb Fuks
Post a Comment