Friday 29 January 2016

SHIYE (JOSHUA) GERSHMAN

SHIYE (JOSHUA) GERSHMAN (June 5, 1903-1988)
            He was born in Sokolov (Sokoliv), Ukraine.  He studied in a Jewish public school.  In 1921 he emigrated to Canada, living in Winnipeg and later in Toronto.  He was active in the leftist Jewish movement.  He began writing for Frayhayt (Freedom) in New York.  From 1936 he contributed political and literary articles to: Der kamf (The struggle) and Der veg (The way) in Toronto; Hamer (Hammer), Yidishe kultur (Jewish culture), and Morgn frayhayt (Morning freedom) in New York, among others.  From 1940 he edited Vokhnblat (Weekly newspaper) in Toronto.  His used the pen name “Ishika.”  He died in Toronto.

Source: Kh. L. Fuks, Hundert yor yidishe un hebreishe literatur in kanade (A century of Yiddish and Hebrew literature in Canada) (Montreal, 1980).

Berl Kagan, comp., Leksikon fun yidish-shraybers (Biographical dictionary of Yiddish writers) (New York, 1986), col. 167.


1 comment:

  1. Joshua Gershman is my maternal uncle. I do my pedigree. I would be very grateful to receive information about his parents, grandfather, grandmother, uncles, aunts. I am interested in their names and surnames, their place of residence, occupation.
    I live in Israel in Haifa and I can only get information from the Internet.
    I would be very grateful for any help.
                                                                       Sincerely, Vadim Dubrovensky E-mail allavadim@gmail.com Tel +972526467608

    ReplyDelete