Saturday 2 June 2018

FANNIE EDELMAN


FANNIE EDELMAN
            She was born in the town of Tarnoruda, Galicia.  Her father was a dealer in prayer shawls, Orthodox male undergarments, and kerchiefs.  She studied in school in Tarnoruda.  At age sixteen she moved to join her sister in New York.  She worked in a sweatshop stitching shirts, while at the same time attending evening school in English.  Later, when she was a mother of grown children herself, she became active in various Jewish relief institutions.  She also worked (for three years) voluntarily for the Jewish court in New York.  She was involved with resolving family conflicts and helping solve family issues.  She was the author of the volume Der shpigl fun lebn (The mirror of life) (New York, 1948), 253 pp., in which he describes her youth, her home and town, and her own family life, and it also includes a series, “Geshikhtes fun mentshn in nyu york” (Stories of people in New York).  She was also the announcer over the radio during her activities in the Jewish court.

Sources: Meylekh Ravitsh, “In der yidisher velt-literatur” (In Jewish world literature), Yorbukh (New York, 1949/1950); M. Kligsberg, “Oytobyografyes” (Autobiographies), Di tsukunft (New York) (November 1950).
Benyomen Elis


2 comments:

  1. She was my grandmother! A truly remarkable woman and Bubbe

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was my great aunt. Her sister Rose was my grandmother. I never knew her and just learned about her in my visit with my aunt in Connecticut. My cousin found Tante Fannie's book, "The Mirror of Life" and sent it to me so I can read and learn all about our family roots. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete